Powder sifting can be described as separating, sieving, classifying, scalping, de-lumping, and screening, but each description is a different method of sifting product which requires a different type of sifting motion for the product’s design parameters and system conveying rates.
PPS offers a wide range of powder sifter designs to fit any application including centrifugal sifters, vibratory sifters, tumbler screens, and gyratory sifters. PPS has the capability of determining your sifting application needs by resourcing past successes or by testing your unique product on a simulated system setup at our test facility.
Expert Designs with Your Application in Mind
These designs are optimized for efficiency and maintenance of product quality across many types of powders and materials including process systems related to the dairy, food, pharmaceutical, and nutritional products industries.
Powder sifters meeting USDA and 3-A sanitary standards are available, along with demountable and easy-to-clean designs to meet higher sanitary standards and stricter cleaning schedules.
Powder sifter specifications are customized based on your system and material handled. Various materials of construction, finishes, and screen sizes are available to suit any application.
A centrifugal sifter is a powder sifter specifically designed for sifting high capacities of product and removing foreign material from the product stream with a single screen (i.e. scalping). High centrifugal force and rotor spreading of the powder reduces screen blinding problems. A centrifugal sifter is not used for precise screening.
- Rotating feed screw provides metering effect into screening zone
- High energy transfer breaks down lumps, aiding in the minimization of product lost to ‘overs’
- Direct or belt drive options available
- Food grade and dairy grade designs and finishes available
A vibratory sifter utilizes a motor that shakes the body of the machine, transferring this vibration to high tensioned screen cloth(s). It is designed to size or classify powder, often incorporating multiple screen decks. The intensity of the vibration is done by adjusting counter weights. Available with bouncing balls and sliding rings for screen de-blinding.
Vibratory sifters provide higher throughputs per square inch of screen, than styles using circular sifting action.
Gentle screening action is ideally suited for friable, agglomerated, and instantized product where degradation is unacceptable.
Vibratory sifter screens are lighter than conventional designs and can be changed quickly without tools by one person in just a few minutes. Product contact surfaces are easily accessible for cleaning
- Sanitary design meets USDA Dairy sanitary standards
- Single and multideck models available
- Screen changed without tools or hoists
- Extra large access ports simplifies routine inspection, maintenance & cleaning
- Heavy duty, maintenance-free design
- Energy efficient, low horsepower requirements
- Extremely quiet operation
Gyratory sifters impart a non-vibratory, gyratory-reciprocating motion to the screen surface. There is no vertical component to this motion, which increases material dwell time on the screen. This motion is gentle on friable powders and can utilize ball cleaning of the screen(s).
- Gentle action moves product across screen(s) surface to classify material without exerting additional force on particulate
- Multiple screen decks available, providing more surface area for fine particulate classification as required
- Sizes range from test lab models to bulk production capacities
- No rotating parts with the product stream
- Food grade and dairy grade models available